12 Questions You Need to Ask a Home Healthcare Provider Before Hiring Them
When you are considering homecare services for yourself or your loved one, knowing the right questions to ask can help ensure that you receive high quality, professional care. A reputable agency expects these questions and are more than happy to answer them for you.
- Ask to see the company’s current license or registration. Before you open up your home to a complete stranger, ensure that the company is licensed to provide the services they say they can.
- Ask if the company is certified by Medicare to meet the federal requirements for health and safety. If they are not certified, ask why.
- Ask for proof of insurance. Usually insurance will cover malpractice, liability, worker’s compensation and bonding. You need to be sure that you will be protected if something adverse happens in your home.
- Ask what services the company provides and more importantly, what specific services will be provided for you.
- Discuss fees and billing. Ask for a written description of fees. Ask how you will be billed and when payment is due
- Ask them how they handle Insurance claims. Will they require you to pay up front or will they bill your insurance company directly? If you have Medicare, ask if they are eligible to bill Medicare.
- Ask the company if they are on call 24-hours a day, 7 days a week and what number you should call to access service. Clarify which services are on-call.
- Ask who you should contact if you have a problem or a complaint and what number they can be reached at.
- Ask what type of employee screening is done. Can the company provide a list of references?
- How are the employees trained, supervised and monitored?
- Ask the company to tell you more about themselves, such as how long they have been in business.
- Ask if they assist in registering patients who may require help during a natural disaster with the Special Needs Registry. This registry supports clients with physical or mental conditions that would require medical assistance during an evacuation, power outages or other emergency situations.
For more information on home care palliative care services, contact UNS today at 1-800-334-5140 or email [email protected].